About a week ago, my family and I went out for dinner. We were debating about many restaurants but then we agreed to try a new one. The ride was a bit longer than expected and both of my daughters fell asleep before arriving. My husband and I tried waking them up, but that did not work. Therefore, we decided to order a pick up. It was kind of late for a heavy dinner so, we just went for a salad.
On the way home, we started eating from the salad. It was a really good salad and we were glad to have tried this specific restaurant. My eldest daughter woke up after we got home and asked for something to eat so I gave her the rest of the salad.
The next morning, I had many errands to run. After about one hour of being out of the house, I started to feel something was off but was still fine to continue on with my day. However, at night, my husband and I started having diarrhea. I wasn’t sure what was going on. We knew it was food poisoning but weren’t sure what caused it. We had eaten other things that day. The next day at night, my daughter also started experiencing the same symptoms but a lot worse. She was not able to keep anything in her stomach. Her body could not handle the food poisoning and she became very weak. We had to take her to the doctor and get her some medications.
At this point, we were certain that the salad we had was the problem. My youngest daughter did not eat from it and she did not experience any of the symptoms that we all did. I was mad! I was mad that on that day, my husband and I felt lazy making a simple salad. But who could have guessed that it was going to cause us food poisoning?!
Don’t be lazy and always make your salad at home.
Follow the steps below from the CDC for leafy greens you plan to eat raw:
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap and water before and after preparing leafy greens.
- Discard outer leaves and any torn or bruised ones.
- Rinse the leafy greens under running water and use your hands to gently rub the surface of the leaves.
- Dry leafy greens with a clean cloth or paper towel.